Monday, February 20, 2012

On Poetry...and Publishing?

Ok, so here I am on a Monday holiday, still in bed, just woke up, pondering...

So here is my dilemma...

I wrote a poem for my Grandpa to be read at his memorial service this past Saturday. My Aunt Wendy read it beautifully as I didn't have the guts to do so. Plus it sounded so much nicer with her lovely English accent. It couldn't have been done any better.

Several family members have asked for a copy of the poem which I am glad to share. My mom thinks I should try to get it published. Part of me wants it out there for people to hear, as I think it may resonate with them in times of sorrow. And if I'm completely honest with myself, I think its really good and I want it out there for the world to see. But part of me wants to keep it private as it is something special written just for my Gramps. I put the only paper copy of it in the box with his ashes to be buried with him. I also don't want it to be critiqued and torn apart; I don't think I could handle that.

I'm entering a writing contest with a deadline of May 1st, so I have some time to figure this out. I think what I really need to do is pray about it. I love the idea of it being out there and honoring my Gramps, but I hate the idea of it becoming commercial like some of the so-called holidays. I'm torn, plain and simple.

I would love to hear your feedback...

No comments:

Post a Comment