Sunday, March 11, 2012

On My First Rejection Letter

Today I received my first short story rejection letter. I knew of someone else that had received theirs on Friday and I had been holding out hope that maybe, just maybe my story had made the cut. I discovered today that the rejection was actually sent to my husband's account (long story). I was discouraged for about five minutes but decided to set my attitude to "I WILL PERSEVERE!"

My friend and I have been working hard finding contests and  honing our writing skills. Yesterday we met up and each wrote a story  in 20ish minutes based on writing prompts and came up with some good stuff.

I have the feeling that this is going to be a long, hard road, but I've wanted to do this since I was in fifth grade...now that I think more about it, it was actually third grade. I wrote a story for a children's writing contest about a unicorn. I was obsessed with unicorns. I believe I placed in that contest...can't quite remember. I remember my friend, Reagan, and I writing stories based on our own adventures. The characters were Righteous Reagan and Courageous Christie. Not that I was. Courageous...that is. In 8th grade, we had a pretend 10 year class reunion and were to come dressed up as the profession we hoped to be in ten years from then. I donned a business-y type dress, glasses, had my hair in a bun, writing pad in hand. I was determined I would be a writer. 

But what happened? Something must have crushed my hopes way back when. I can't quite remember what. I just stopped writing. Sure, I would write quite lengthy notes to my best friends which, I might add, usually got me into trouble when discovered by parentals on one side or another. I am usually able to remember pretty much everything that has ever happened in my life from about three years old on. But I can't for the life of me remember why I stopped writing. I wish I hadn't. Perhaps I would be published by now. 

But everything in its own time...well in God's timing. I'm sure there is a reason why I've started again after all this time. I think I'm more confident in my writing than ever before. I have a good friend cheering me on, as well as others who have encouraged me to pursue it. And most importantly, I also have God who guides and directs me, whom I know has a purpose in all of this and in Him I trust 100%. Whatever is meant to be will happen. 

So...onto the next story!

No comments:

Post a Comment